May 17, 2012

Crystal Cave in Kutztown, PA


My friend and coworker Mirlene, send me the following story: 


“On Saturday, my husband took the family to Crystal Cave in Kutztown, PA – the most popular natural attraction in Pennsylvania. There, we took the tour that I found to be very interesting.  The tour start in a theater where we learned about the history of the cave from the time it was discovered to now.  Then, a tour guide took us inside and was able to reiterate many of what we saw in the movie as visuals.  For instance, the crystals inside the cave, where the bats live, where people used to have their dance, the various natural shapes formed inside the cave by water dripping…..At one point, he turned most of the lights inside the cave so we can have a sense of what explorers experienced when there was no electricity inside.  
Besides the tour, there are other activities such as mini golfing and panning for gemstones.
Since it was the Mother’s Day weekend, my highlight of the trip was the gift shop where my sons picked my Mother’s Day presents.  Although, the cashier ruined the surprise for me by excitingly telling me that my boys did a great job at picking my presents, one could imagine the boys’ reaction…
I was not allowed to peruse the gift shop too much. I conclude that it must have some inexpensive, beautiful souvenirs.  I was given a set of crystal emerald earrings and a necklace made out of rocks.  Both pieces can be elegantly worn and do not look cheap at all.

Overall, I would recommend visiting this place, especially to families with kids. We got some good exercise from it as we were still tired the next morning.”


Crystal cave is open every day from March 1 trough November 30. For directions please go to http://www.crystalcavepa.com/MapDirections.html.


No comments:

Post a Comment